FAQs - Financial Aid

Here are a few of our most commonly-asked questions and their answers.  We hope that you will be able to find the answers to your questions here as well.  If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact the BC financial aid office for assistance. 


What is financial aid?

By definition, financial aid is ANY money used to pay your educational expenses from ANY source other than you or your parent(s).  Thus any scholarship, grant, educational loan, or student employment may be defined as financial aid.


What is Bellin College’s Title IV School Code to be used to file the FAFSA?

BC’s code is 006639; UWGB’s is 003899; SNC’s is 003892


Do I have to be admitted to BC before I apply for financial aid?

No.  You do not have to be admitted to BC or other campus in order to file a FAFSA, however, you must be admitted before the financial aid office can make a financial aid award offer to you.  This means that if your admission is still incomplete at the time you file your FAFSA, you should still file, but try to complete your admission file as quickly as possible since the financial aid office cannot reserve any aid for you until you are admitted.  If you are planning to enroll at BC as a freshman or sophomore and will be enrolled at either UWGB or SNC, you must be admitted to both institutions (BC and UWGB/SNC) before an aid award will be made. 


Should I bother to file a FAFSA even though I know my family makes too much money for me to qualify for aid?

Yes.  Every student who meets the US Department of Education’s minimum eligibility criteria will qualify for a minimum of a federal unsubsidized student loan.  Many students who believe they don’t qualify for any other aid are surprised to learn that they do qualify.  It is often difficult to know based solely on income if you qualify or not without actually applying for aid.  If you file a FAFSA and learn that you are not eligible for aid other than an unsubsidized loan, you are not obligated to take that loan.  Should you decide at any time during the academic year that you want to borrow the loan, it will be available for you to take advantage of.  If you do not file a FAFSA, a federal student loan is not available. 


If I already have a bachelor’s degree from another college or university but am planning to enroll at BC for a second bachelor’s degree, am I eligible for financial aid?

Yes, although you may find that the available sources of aid may be somewhat more limited.  Students who have four-year degrees are not eligible for federal or state grant programs regardless of income or other criteria.  You may still receive federal student loans as long as you have not yet borrowed the aggregate maximum allowed for undergraduate study.  Other sources of aid may still be available as well such as need-based institutional scholarships and/or private scholarships and loans. 


Are graduate students eligible for financial aid?

Yes.  Many of our MSN students apply for financial aid.  Because they already have a bachelor’s degree, they do not qualify for any federal or state grants however, they may borrow federal student loans for their graduate coursework. 


Are Special Students eligible for financial aid?

No.  Special students are those who are taking a course (or two) on a ‘try out’ basis either for-credit or not-for-credit.  These students have not yet been fully admitted to the program; only students who have been admitted to a program of study leading to a degree or certificate may apply for aid. 


Do I have to be a full-time student to receive financial aid?

No.  Most aid programs do require at-least-half-time enrollment, however.  In order to receive a federal student loan (or defer repayment of a previously-borrowed student loan), you must be at least half-time.  If you are a dependent student, you will want to check with your parents before enrolling for less-than-full-time as this may impact your health insurance coverage.  Some aid programs are adjusted proportionately for enrollments of three-quarter-time or half-time.


Combined Bellin College and General Education Credits

Enrollment Status




(Required Credits per Semester/Block/Term)


(Required Credits per Semester/Block/Term)


(Required Credits per Semester/Block/Term)



12.0 or more credits


9.0 to11.5 credits


6.0 to 8.5 credits

BSN 15 Month  Option Only


8.0 or more credits


6.0 to 7.5 credits


4.0 to 5.5 credits


6.0 or more credits

4.5 to 5.5 credits

3.0 to 4.0 credits


How safe is my financial information that my family and I report on the FAFSA?

All data reported on the FAFSA is protected under the Federal Family Educational Rights to Privacy Act (FERPA).  This means that none of your data is shared with anyone without your written permission unless that person or department has an educational need to know.  Individual income data is never shared although income data in the aggregate (average for all students etc) may be reported on US Department of Education and other agency surveys.  Information regarding certain financial aid awards may be shared with other departments on campus such as the bursar for the purpose of posting aid to student accounts or the Development Department for matching up scholarship donors and recipients.  Under FERPA laws, no one at the College may discuss your financial aid, income, or tuition payment record with anyone other than you unless you complete a Financial Aid Information Release form and submit it to the BC financial aid office; this includes your parent.  If a parent calls the financial aid office, she/he will be asked to provide identifying information for you (such as your birth date and SSN or campus ID); information will then only be released if a signed release form is on file giving BC permission to discuss your information with that specific person.  We realize that this can sometimes be an inconvenience to families, however, please keep in mind that it is in your best interest especially in these days of phishing, identity theft, and other related crimes. 


Where can I find information on private scholarships?

If you are currently still in high school, your guidance counselor is an excellent resource for information related to private scholarships.  Other places for all students (current and prospective) to look for scholarship opportunities include your local public library, your (or your parent’s) employer, local church or civic groups, professional organizations, and other organizations to which you or another family member may belong.  You may also try a free scholarship search service on the web.  Two of the largest and most popular such services are www.fastweb.com and www.brokescholar.com.  Keep in mind that these services are operating with a national database and may not contain a lot of local or regional scholarships.  Avoid any scholarship service which charges a fee.  Another place to watch for scholarship information is the Announcements page on our website. 


Is it possible to receive aid in excess of my tuition and fees charges?

Yes.  Students (or parents) may receive aid in excess of tuition and fees charges, usually in the form of federal or private education loans.  Excess aid is expected to be used to pay for other related educational expenses such as travel, living expenses, books, supplies, etc.  When a credit balance (or refund) is created on the student’s account, BC will issue a refund check to the student (or parent if the credit is due to a Federal PLUS Loan). 


If I am dually enrolled at BC and UWGB or SNC, do I pay tuition to both colleges or only one?

Since you are taking classes at both colleges, you will pay the applicable tuition and fees charges for each campus.  Under the current agreements that BC has with UWGB and SNC, the charges for both colleges will be combined on one billing statement and payment may be made to the campus which generated the bill (that campus makes payment to the other on your behalf).  Please refer to the grid below for further explanation:



Aid Awarded by FAO

Bills & Payment

BC/UWGB Enrollment



     Freshman (BSN & BSRS)



     Sophomore (BSN)



     Sophomore (BSRS)



     Junior (BSN & BSRS)



     Senior (BSN & BSRS)



BC/SNC Enrollment



     Freshman (BSN)



     Sophomore (BSN)



     Junior (BSN)



     Senior (BSN)




Students who are taking general education courses at a campus other than UWGB or SNC will need to consult with the BC financial aid office, however, BC does not have an agreement with any other colleges regarding billing and financial aid.  Students enrolled at other colleges are responsible for making payment directly to the other campus.  At this time, the current BC and UWGB/SNC agreements do not apply to summer term charges; students enrolled at either institution during a summer term will be responsible for making payment directly to that campus. 


How is my financial aid applied to my charges?

Financial aid will be applied to tuition and fees charges on a term or semester basis (as noted on your financial aid award notification from the financial aid office).  Most aid programs are automatically applied to your charges while others must be received from the source (such as a student loan, private loan, or private scholarship).  The bursars at BC and  UWGB/SNC work together to coordinate the disbursement of aid to pay charges for both institutions. 


Is financial aid available for summer school?

Yes, however, be sure to discuss options with the applicable financial aid office since there are many factors which may influence eligibility for aid in a summer term.  For example, in order to receive a federal student loan disbursement for summer, a student must be enrolled at least half-time.  Since the US Department of Education limits the amount of federal student loan a student may receive for a given academic year, receiving a portion of your loan eligibility in the summer may decrease the amount otherwise available in the fall or spring terms.  Private education loans are available in summer, and in most cases, may be borrowed if enrolled for less-than-half-time. 


If my financial aid is not sufficient to pay all of my charges, what are my options for payment?

Bellin College does offer an installment plan to allow students and their families to divide the balance due into multiple payments.  An installment fee of $10 will be added to the balance due and payment will be divided among installments due over the course of the billing term.  Students are responsible for setting up an acceptable payment plan with the BC bursar.  Other financing options include Federal PLUS Loans (federal loans for parents or graduate students) or private education loans.  For more information on either of these loan options, contact the financial aid office.